70 photo examples for women
The boho style originated in the distant 18th century, when post-revolutionary France was flooded with gypsies and wandering artists – Bohemiens, who came from the Czech province of Bohemia. The nomadic way of life of these people could not affect their appearance. On the shoulders of creative people, expensive luxurious things often coexisted with worn or inherited from someone else, colorful multi-layer skirts and dresses with handmade jewelry.
Later, not only all artists, writers, actors, musicians and singers began to be called bohemia, but the combination of glitz and poverty that he loved became a separate trend in fashion. A new breath of modern women’s boho style and great popularity among fashionistas was given by Kate Moss, who prefers to combine ethnic outfits with sportswear. This trend was followed by fashion houses and couturiers.
Table of contents:
Clothing salient and trendy ramifications
Since boho is not just a style of clothing, but to a greater extent a philosophy of life, at the moment there are several directions in it. Each of them carries a certain message to the world: “I care about nature”, “I am a free cosmopolitan”, “I am a creator who is alien to the framework” and others. This imposes certain restrictions on the use of certain materials and styles.
Despite their various ramifications, boho-style bows share the following common features in women’s clothing:
- Layering, when, as they say, “from under Saturday Friday is visible.” So, in boho it can be not only “Friday”, but also all the other days of the week, because a vest is put on over a blouse or top, on which a shawl is thrown or a scarf is tied. Dresses and skirts are often layered or have a lot of ruffles.
- Texture. All the materials from which the outfits are sewn have their own character, which manifests itself not only in the colors, but also in the texture of the fabrics. This can be a pile, roughness or abrasion, a knitting or lace weaving pattern, a header and fringe. Moreover, these textures are mixed in the most unimaginable way.
- Drapery. The cut of things is simple and free. Here you will not find corsets or straps that clearly depict every bend of the figure. All contours are blurred and hidden behind drapery, an abundance of folds, flounces, ruffles. The skill of the seamstress comes to the fore, not the beauty of the fabric.
- The use of lace and various weaves. Intertwining threads that create fancy patterns are present everywhere: in laces on dresses and suits, in laces on shoes that braid the legs, in various bracelets, baubles and other accessories.
- Handwork. To fit a suit from someone else’s shoulder and make it unique was possible only with the help of small hand-made details. The desire to make your own image through handmade is inherent in boho even now, so you can often find jewelry, accessories and handmade things on women of fashion.
There are several closely related areas with the boho prefix:
Classic (boho classic)
It has all the characteristic features, but only high-quality fabrics and materials are used to create images. Thus, apparent “poverty” is not cheap, and “negligence” is scrupulously worked out to the smallest detail.
Glamor or chic (boho glamor)
It is characterized by an abundance of fur and the use of silk, chiffon, satin, satin and other light fabrics.
For “children of flowers”, adherents of the hippie subculture, a riot of colors and colors, a mixture of various national motives and traditional clothes of different peoples is characteristic.
These are artificially worn and worn things, instead of bright prints – provocative inscriptions and dark colors, everything that can be opposed to the concept of success, luxury and demonstration of wealth.
It is permissible for him to use materials, the production of which does not harm nature, therefore fur and leather are unacceptable in outfits.
A common feature of clothes in this style is comfort for body and soul, which is achieved by unity with nature, close connection with their roots and respect for the traditions and lifestyles of ancestors.
How to put together a bohemian wardrobe
Most suitable things can be found in the wardrobe of every fashionista, since boho is not about things as such, but about their combination and details. So, a basic wardrobe can consist of only 10 things:
- Loose tunic or blouse. It can be plain or colored, with lace, ruffle or embroidery. There are no restrictions on the decor elements or fabrics used.
- Floor-length skirt. Bright print, layering and ruffles are welcome. To create a complete look with her, a T-shirt with a pattern and a vest will be enough.
- Bright dress. For this item of clothing, Dean is not of fundamental importance, his print is much more important. Bright floral or ethnic motifs are encouraged.
- Vest. This wardrobe item can be made of jeans, corduroy, suede, leather. The latter option can be replaced with artificial leather for adherents of eco-direction.
- Flared jeans with fringes. It is thanks to the new wave of popularity of this style that this style of trousers returned to fashion in 2021.
- Knitted jacket or cardigan. Since texture is important for materials, things with a beautiful, almost openwork knitting are suitable.
- High waisted short shorts. It can be the usual worn denim shorts or a model made of high-quality fabric of a classic cut.
- A bulky scarf or stole. It should also be bright, ideally decorated with fringe.
- Solid raincoat or robe coat. In summer, you can most often see boho outfits on women, but even in cold weather you can wear them simply by wearing a cloak over the top.
- Fur coat or fur vest. Adherents of the eco-trend can afford bright things made of faux fur, and in the direction of chic, natural fur is acceptable.
We should also say a few words about shoes. Initially, all shoes that fit this style were flat soles. Over time, with the advent of various currents, a small, stable heel became acceptable. It can be gladiator sandals, slates, ballet flats with curly cutouts, closed shoes, felt boots or ordinary boots with small heels, but first of all, any pair should be comfortable.
Actual accessories to complete a trendy look
Bohemian individualism is achieved through jewelry and accessories: handbags, hats, glasses, shawls and scarves. A holistic look can only be created with vintage jewelry or handmade jewelry, which women of fashion hunt for at flea markets and craftsmen fairs. Often such works combine symbols of different religions or are decorated with pagan ornaments.
Bags are also most often used by hand: knitted, woven, decorated with embroidery or applique, fringe. This accessory is usually quite roomy and does not restrain your hands with the need to hold it by the handles (backpack, shoulder bag, belt bag).
The perfect complement to the look will be a variety of hats: bandanas, headbands, straw hats with wide brim and fedoras made of felt. It is worth paying attention to hats from national costumes, for example, a sombrero or a bright knitted reggae beanie. As for glasses, large round frames will perfectly fit into the boho style.
Bohemian makeup and hairstyles
Makeup in the traditional sense is not needed for this style. The maximum can be selected for the eyes with the help of jet black shadows or arrows in the form of dots on the lower eyelid. There should be a minimum of cosmetics on the face, body painting and original drawings on the face and body, imitating tattoos, come to the fore. So, with the help of henna, various inscriptions in Arabic, Chinese, astrological or zodiac symbols, images of totem animals are applied to the body.
A universal hairstyle for a bohemian bow is curls that fall freely on the shoulders, which can be slightly curled on large curlers. A little exotic can be made with pigtails, like hippies, dreadlocks and jewelry made of leather, beads, feathers and natural stones.
Who will harmoniously feel in a boho outfit
This style is suitable for women of any age, besides, it is very young, you just have to look at how Meryl Streep looked at the age of 59 in the musical “Mamma Mia!” In everyday life, not only representatives of creative professions can dress in boho outfits, but also those who are constrained by a strict dress code. In this case, you can relax and show your individuality on vacation or on a weekend.
If we talk about body types, then for each girl you can create a boho style outfit that will hide flaws and emphasize advantages:
- The hourglass is a recognized standard by everyone, so it is important for girls who own such a silhouette to just maintain a balance between top and bottom, abandoning styles with a high waist.
- Rectangle – girls with such a figure should definitely focus on the waist with a beautiful strap.
- Inverted triangle – women with this silhouette do not need to overload voluminous shoulders, it is better to shift attention to the hips by wearing a fluffy multilayer skirt.
- Pear – for her, the recommendations will be the opposite, in the wardrobe there must be blouses with puffy lantern sleeves, flounces and frills.
- Apple – the layering of boho will blur the contours and hide the flaws of this figure, and the decorations will focus on the winning zones.
Despite the versatility of the style, you need to be able to combine things that are practically incompatible at first glance in order to look not tasteless, but stylish.
Photos with examples of fashionable images
To get inspired by successful bohemian bows, just look at the photo of what celebrities are wearing at informal events or in everyday life. After all, not surprisingly, most of the famous creative personalities such as Johnny Depp, Sarah Jessica Parker, Dakota Johnson, Kate Moss, Vanessa Paradis, the Olsen sisters and others love the boho style. Just do not repeat their images in exact accordance, so as not to conflict with the main bohemian philosophy, for which individuality is important first of all.