Bulimia and Binge eating: how to detect the first signs of these eating disorders?
The most important thing is to differentiate bulimic behavior from that of binge eating. A person prone to binge eating will eat a huge amount of food. Then she can vomit, exercise intensively, consume laxatives in order not to gain weight. She will have a normal BMI and her eating disorder may go unnoticed.
A person with hyperphagia will eat in large quantities but not induce vomiting or exercise afterwards. Unlike a bulimic, she may be in a situation of obesity or overweight.
How to detect the first signs of bulimia and hyperphagia?
You can anticipate risks by targeting the most vulnerable to these disorders. Every professional person or not is able to make this gesture.
- Young people (teenage girls and young women)
- The models
- Athletes whose disciplines require weight control (gymnastics, dance, athletics, synchronized swimming)
- People whose families have eating disorders
If you suspect a case of bulimia, several behaviors can alert you to:
- Intense concerns around weight while her BMI is normal or low
- Restrictive eating habits
- Intensive physical exercise
- A diet application to lose weight or lose weight
- Russel's sign: abrasion of the joints or back of the hand when a person is throwing up
If you suspect a case of hyperphagia, several behaviors can alert you:
- If the person is obese or overweight
- A request for a bariatric surgery
- Failure to lose pounds after bariatric surgery
- If there are signs of bipolar disorder
If the disorders are detected quickly, people will be able to be treated with better conditions. The consequences of bulimia and hyperphagia are serious. They can lead to isolation, depression, anxiety disorders, addictive disorders and personality disorders.
For the moment, it is the most affected young people. The disorders begin in adolescence and early adulthood. According to HAS, 1.5% of 11-20 year olds suffer from bulimia. Bulimic overeating affects 3 to 5% of the French population. She arrives later than bulimia and strikes mostly adults.
Read also :
⋙ Anorexia, bulimia: how to spot the warning signs of these eating disorders?
⋙ Bulimia, anorexia: what difference?
⋙ Bulimic, Jean-Luc Lahaye gave dangerous slimming advice to Dalida