how much and how to stand correctly
Who doesn’t know about the plank? Everyone knows about the plank! But not everyone knows how to properly perform it in order to get the maximum benefit and not harm health.
The plank is one of the most popular yoga asanas. And one of the most useful. The thing is that, despite the apparent simplicity, this pose is all-inclusive: the muscles of the neck and shoulders, hips and legs, biceps and triceps, muscles of the lower back and all four muscles of the abdomen, hamstrings and knees.
When performing the bar, the muscles of the KOR are trained and endurance increases, the work of the respiratory system and the psychological state improve, posture is corrected and metabolic processes are normalized.
Well, as a nice bonus, the bar burns more calories than any ab exercise (from 5 kcal per 1 minute – depending on your weight, diet and correctness of performance). That is why the bar is included in weight loss complexes for women.
But not everything is so simple. The result will be only if you do the right bar for weight loss!
Looking at a person standing in the “bar”, it seems that everything is so easy and simple that there can be no contraindications. But this is not the case.
This exercise is not recommended for:
- high blood pressure;
- tunnel syndrome and injuries to the wrists, hands or spine;
- exacerbations of chronic diseases;
- during the rehabilitation period after surgery;
- in the second half of pregnancy.
If you work with a coach, then what and how to do and what not to do, they will tell and show you. But how to stand in the bar “at home”? In a photo or picture from the Internet, you cannot see the nuances. And doing it incorrectly will not only be useless, but also unsafe.
First you need to master the classic version – this is the most affordable weight loss bar for beginners.
- The starting position is “lying on your stomach”.
- Bend your elbows and press your forearms to the floor (make sure they are parallel).
- Squeeze your torso up so that the emphasis is on the tips of your toes and elbows.
- Tighten the muscles in your legs, hips, glutes, and abs.
- The gaze is directed to the floor, the neck is stretched, the crown of the head is stretched forward, the heels are back.
- Lock in this position. Do not forget to breathe – you cannot do this exercise while holding your breath.
- Get down on the floor and relax. After resting for 5-10 seconds, repeat. In total, it is recommended to do 1-5 approaches.
How long to stand in the bar
To begin with, hold the bar for 10-20 seconds (for 1 approach), gradually increase the time and number of approaches.
You can stand in the bar every day, but do not strive to set records – listen to your body, to your feelings and soberly assess your physical capabilities. You need to stand in the bar as long as you can stand in it correctly!
The classic elbow plank has another version – on straightened arms. In this case, place your hands strictly under the shoulders, fingers pointing forward.
You can complicate the bar by straightening and stretching your arm (to shoulder level) or leg (tearing it off the floor a couple of cm). Hold for 10 s. Then change arm / leg. This bar is also included in belly slimming complexes.
The side bar is made to slim the sides. When doing it, the oblique abdominal muscles are trained, which helps to get rid of fatty deposits at the waist.