How to do Home Chinstraps Step by Step?
I invite you to discover the types of chinstraps that exist and can be used to protect yourself from viruses that affect health.
Despite the fact that at the beginning of the coronavirus pandemic the World Health Organization (WHO) recommended the use of chinstraps only to infected people to prevent the spread of the virus, a large part of the population resorted to impulsive use of them as prevention measure.
And it is that, despite what the WHO said, experts in the health area affirm that correct use of chinstraps offers effective protection against possible Covid-19 infections.
It is known that the virus is spread by direct, indirect contact and by contact with infected surfaces that by touching and then bringing the hands to the mucous membranes cause the infection.
These three cases are caused by saliva droplets that are expelled when speaking, coughing, or sneezing.
That is why the use of a protective mask plays an important role as a preventive factor.
Since when speaking microscopic drops are spread from the mouth with the ability to spread the disease, and it is that many people suffer from the disease, but they do not have symptoms or they can transmit it before presenting them.
In such a way, the chinstraps prevent the virus from escaping and reduce the risk of contagion.
Today, I want to tell you everything you need to know about the types of chinstraps and how to use them properly to ensure that you and your family stay healthy.
Read on for the ideal chinstrap!
What are chinstraps and what are they for?
As I have mentioned, when it was confirmed that Covid-19 was going to become a pandemic, WHO recommended the use of chinstraps for people confirmed with the infection and for medical personnel to maintain direct contact with infected or suspected people.
However, as the spread has expanded and has become increasingly important, many countries are recommending the mandatory use of chinstraps throughout the population as a preventive action for transmission of the virus by asymptomatic patients.
Hence, this element became an accessory for constant use for those who need to leave home or work in crowded environments.
It is a sanitary accessory that allows us to avoid exposing our environment to contamination caused by pathogens.
The chinstrap is but one additional protection tool that completely covers the nose and mouth, filters bacteria to combat the spread of the coronavirus.
Its use must be complemented by social isolation, a distance of 2 meters between people and proper hand hygiene.
In addition, it must be taken into account that, if the necessary measures are not taken for its use, it may be counterproductive to health.
It is important to emphasize that the chinstrap does not promote personal protection, but rather protect the rest of the population with whom you usually have contact.
Likewise, remember that it is an element that is contaminated every time you return home, you should wash it well with hot water (60 degrees), neutral soap and dry it properly after each use, using it for periods of time no greater than 2 hours and only in spaces where you have close contact with others, also avoid touching your face and eyes while wearing the mask.
Types of Chinstraps
Disposable Surgical Chinstrap
Disposable surgical protective masks are the most commonly used to prevent transmission of the virus when in contact with uninfected people.
You should keep in mind that these do not filter the air that is inhaled, so they are not the most recommended when you have contact with a confirmed patient with coronavirus.
Its design helps to prevent respiratory fluids from being transmitted to other people, so they are also ideal to use in case of suspected contagion, conventional influenza cases or when you need to leave the house on occasion.
These chinstraps, in addition to being economical, provide great tolerance and comfort to their users, they are also more easily obtained in pharmaceutical establishments.
It is important to discard disposable surgical masks after 24 hours of use or when they become wet.
N95 respirators are those that provide effective protection of up to 95% against the spread of the virus, this is because these filter masks retain particles from inhaled air thanks to the fact that their pores are much smaller than the rest. of the presentations of protective masks.
These types of chinstraps are indicated for use by medical personnel caring for confirmed patients or when caring for an infected family member at home to more effectively combat the transmission of infectious droplets or respiratory secretions.
In addition, they are suitable when you have respiratory symptoms (cough and sneeze) to prevent microorganisms from dispersing.
The durability of these respirators is 3 days for medical personnel, family caregivers of confirmed patients or infected patients. If its use is sporadic, without excessive manipulation and in antiseptic places they can be used for up to 7 days.
Triple layer chinstrap
They are characterized by being made with non-woven stabilizer fabric with three overlapping layers in which one of them turns out to be a filter that repels bacteria that can come into contact with and enter the body through the nose and mouth.
It is one of the most effective alternatives to prevent Covid-19 infections.
This protective mask offers an efficiency of up to 90% taking into account that its pores are among the smallest and can be used by confirmed patients to avoid spreading the virus as well as healthy people who are exposed to risky places.
Its value is cheap and it is easily found in health establishments.
On the other hand, these types of chinstraps offer a durability of no more than 8 hours, so after this time they should be discarded indoors and a new one should be used if necessary.
These masks are usually homemade and necessarily require additional preventive measures to increase their effectiveness, such as frequent hand washing with antibacterial soap and proper cleaning of the mask after each use.
It will be enough to wash it manually with a washing machine and let them dry properly.
It is most recommended that they be made with multiple layers of 60 stabilizer fabric or cotton, fit comfortably to the face, completely covering the nose and mouth, facilitate breathing and fasten with laces to the ears.
In addition, they must retain their shape after washing.
They are ideal to be used in crowded places where it is impossible to maintain an adequate social distance such as in buses, pharmacies, supermarkets … since they help to prevent people who do not know that they have the virus from transmitting it.
Also, it is recommended that you avoid placing homemade chinstraps for people with disabilities, respiratory conditions and children under 2 years of age.
How to make triple layer fabric chinstraps at home step by step?
As the coronavirus continues to spread and cause concern in the population seeking scarce chinstraps in pharmacies and health facilities, many people have chosen to design and make their own protective masks at home.
For this reason, experts in the health area have indicated the necessary recommendations to prepare them properly and thus increase their preventive efficacy.
Next, we will show you how to make an ideal homemade chinstrap for frequent or occasional use.
The first point to keep in mind to make homemade chinstraps is to use the correct material, in this case we recommend the 60 stabilizer fabric, SMS fabric or cotton fabric.
It is not recommended to make disposable masks with paper.
- 3 rectangles of the suggested fabric of 26 × 16 cm
- 2 elastic straps about 15 cm long to make the laces
- Sewing machine or thread and needle
Preparation step by step:
- To form the chinstrap, take the 3 pieces of fabric with the suggested measurements and place them on top of each other and then sew them as if it were a single piece. If you use cotton fabric, choose one of compact pores such as cotton sheets.
- For the hem, fold the long ends approximately 1 cm and then fold the triple layer of fabric along the short ends 1.5 cm and sew them down.
- With the help of a large needle, pass the 15 cm elastic bands or strips through the widest hem towards each end of the mask and knot the ends well. These will be the adjustable ear supports.
- Make sure the knots are inside the hem by gently pulling on the elastic, bind the sides of the mask to the elastic and snap it onto your face, covering your nose and mouth well so you can breathe comfortably.
- Now it only remains to firmly sew the elastic to measure to prevent it from slipping and the 3-layer mask always remains in place.
How to make homemade fabric chinstraps seamlessly?
If you do not have a sewing machine, needle and thread, it is also possible to make a cloth mask that provides adequate protection whenever you need to visit crowded places.
In addition, you will have it ready in a few minutes to keep your family isolated from viruses and bacteria.
- Fabric rectangle or cotton scarf of about 50 × 50 cm
- 15 cm elastic straps for the laces
- Coffee filter
- Scissors (optional)
Preparation step by step:
Cut the coffee filter into a rectangle that can cover your nose and mouth.
- Fold the compact fiber cotton scarf in half and place the coffee filter in the middle. Fold the top of the fabric down until the filter is well covered, then fold the bottom up.
- Finally, place the elastic straps on each side of the mask at a distance of approximately 15 cm each. Now fold the ends inward and place both ends one inside the other. Thus, you will have the settings for the ears.
- If you have a cotton scarf long enough you can skip the previous step and once you have covered the coffee filter, place the mask on the face covering the nose and mouth correctly and tie to the back of the head.
- It is important to wash the cloth mask after each use and replace the coffee filter with a new one or, failing that, with an absorbent kitchen towel.
What is the function of a homemade protective mask?
- They create a protective barrier that isolates scattered drops while talking, coughing, or sneezing.
- Triple-layer chinstraps can provide blocking and filtering effectiveness of up to 90%, so homemade triple-layer cloth chinstraps protect up to 70%. This makes it a voluntary additional preventive element for when you occasionally need to leave home and are not directly dealing with infected people.
Frequently asked questions about using homemade chinstraps
Given the expansion of the coronavirus in various countries of the world and the controversy over the use of home-based chinstraps and their efficacy as a preventive method, different questions arise that are useful to answer in order for the population to remain calm, become aware, increase the probabilities to stay healthy and help stop the spread of the virus.
Some of the most common concerns are:
Protective masks can and should be used by everyone when away from home.
Many countries have made it mandatory and have seen benefits from its use.
Even homemade chinstraps are good protection alternatives in crowded environments, when leaving the house or at work.
N95 masks are those to be used by healthcare personnel.
As surgical chinstraps are not widely available, compact fiber cotton cloth chins are used as a community preventive tool.
It is true that cloth protective masks do not equal the effectiveness of surgical ones.
If they offer protection and are a great alternative to the shortage of this product currently on the market.
The reason why the use of homemade masks was not recommended before and now it is, is that as the pandemic evolves and expands, the scientific information obtained also changes to adapt to the infectious situation of the population.
Important aspects to make a homemade fabric chinstrap:
Homemade cloth face masks represent an easy, practical and inexpensive alternative to taking an additional voluntary preventive measure to hand hygiene and social isolation.
But to get the best out of them, you should follow these recommendations when manufacturing:
- They should fit snugly and comfortably to the nasal bridge and sides of the face.
- They need to be well secured with elastic straps placed behind the ears.
- The package must include at least two layers of cotton fabric or 60 stabilizer fabric.
- With the use of the mask, breathing should be comfortable and without restrictions.
- They must facilitate hygiene by hand or by machine without damaging their original shape.
Additional recommendations for the use and maintenance of homemade chinstraps
- If it is not possible to sanitize the chins with water and detergent soap, you can spray alcohol on both sides with a spray bottle and allow to dry before reusing. But you should always wash it at least every 24 hours.
- These chinstraps are only recommended for community use for short periods of time. They are not suitable for travel and prolonged use.
- Cloth masks are only indicated for occasional use as an additional preventive measure to existing ones. They cannot be used for meetings as they do not replace social isolation.
- These chinstraps should not be used to care for suspected or already confirmed coronavirus patients. In this case, you need a surgical chinstrap. Similarly, if you are the one with suspicious symptoms or have already been diagnosed with the virus.
How to correctly put on and take off a chinstrap?
Time required: 1 minute.
As you already know, healthy people only need to wear a chinstrap in case they are treating confirmed patients with coronavirus or in cases where their work leads them to have contact with many people during the day.
In the same way, people with respiratory or flu-like symptoms should also cover themselves with a protective mask.
However, for these elements to retain their preventive properties, it is strictly necessary that they be used in the proper way.
For this, it is good to know the steps to follow to put on, take off and discard a chinstrap without contaminating it.
Steps to follow:
Before putting on the chinstrap, be it cloth, surgical, triple layer or N95, wash your hands well with water and antibacterial soap or apply disinfectant gel with alcohol.
- Place Chinstrap on Face
Cover the nose and mouth area well with the mask taking into account that there are no gaps or spaces between your face and the chinstrap.
- Face Chinstrap Caution
While wearing the mask, do not touch it.
If you do, remember to wash your hands well with soap and water or repeat the application of alcohol disinfectant gel.
- Discard Disposable Masks
Single-use masks should be disposed of immediately in a tightly closed container, they cannot be washed or cleaned.
- Change wet cap
You should change the fabric masks as soon as they get wet because they lose their insulating effectiveness.
- Chinstrap Retreat
When you get home, remove the mask from the back without touching the mouth cover, if the chinstrap is cloth, soak it in hot soapy water and wash your hands very well.
- Reuse Chinstrap or Tapaboca
To reuse the chinstrap it must be completely clean, disinfected and dry.
These recommendations on the correct use of the chinstrap were indicated by the WHO and reiterates that they are only effective if they are combined with frequent hand washing.
How to wash your hands correctly
Although it seems simple to wash your hands, it is one of the most effective prevention measures to combat the spread of coronavirus and keep the whole family healthy.
But it is necessary to do it in the correct way to guarantee that the proliferation of bacteria and especially this delicate virus is prevented. Learn how and when to wash your hands to maintain good health.
By washing your hands regularly you can help keep yourself and the people in your environment healthy, avoiding the risk of spreading and contracting Covid-19.
If you wonder, when should I wash my hands to reduce the risk of contagion?
Here are some key moments:
- When you get home
- When touching surfaces outside the home such as handrails and handrails.
- After having contact or disposing of the garbage.
- After coughing, sneezing, or cleaning nasal secretions.
- After going to the bathroom, helping a child or changing diapers.
- Before and after treating wounds.
- Before and after assisting people with the flu, respiratory symptoms, diarrhea, or vomiting.
- Before every meal.
- Before, during, and after handling and cooking food.
Steps to wash your hands properly
It is true that hand hygiene is a simple process that can efficiently stop the spread of the virus from person to person and in the community.
However, it is necessary to do it calmly and make sure that the hands are completely clean.
Follow these simple steps and you will keep your hands free of bacteria, germs and microbes:
- Dampen your hands with warm water and gently lather.
- Rub them firmly, lathering and scrubbing to remove all dirt. Don’t forget to rub enough soap on the back of your hands, inside your nails, and between your fingers.
- Scrub your hands for a period of not less than 20 seconds with soap. You can repeat the application if you consider it necessary.
Rinse your hands very well with clean water and dry with a towel that does not release particles.
Use an alcohol disinfectant whenever you can’t wash your hands.
Washing hands with soap and water is the best way to eliminate bacteria and viruses to avoid transmitting them to surfaces or by contact with other people.
However, when you cannot do it, it is recommended to apply a hand sanitizer that contains 60% alcohol or a higher percentage.
In this way, you will be significantly reducing the amount of bacteria and viruses on the skin. But you should keep in mind that:
- The disinfectant gel does not fight all kinds of viruses and bacteria, so you should wash your hands hardly you have a chance.
- Disinfectants can lose effectiveness if your hands are very dirty or greasy.
- Some chemicals are not removed with the use of gel hand sanitizer.
Proper application of disinfecting gel
To effectively clean hands with gel alcohol, it is recommended:
- Apply a small amount of the product to the dry palms of your hands.
- Rub the gel on the hands and between the fingers for 20 seconds until it is completely absorbed. If necessary clean with a paper towel.
Additional hygiene tips to complement the use of chinstraps
We have already commented, to guarantee that you will stay healthy, the use of a chinstrap is not enough, you also need to carry out a rigorous control and personal and household hygiene, in addition to abiding by social distancing.
These helpful hygiene tips will help you stay alert and take better care of yourself:
For healthy people:
- Do not touch your eyes, nose and mouth without first washing your hands.
- Whenever you touch surfaces that may be contaminated, wash your hands immediately.
- Decreases contact with people with respiratory, flu or suspected symptoms of Covid-19.
- Avoid frequenting public places where there is an agglomeration of people.
- Improve air traffic in your home.
- Keep a minimum distance of one meter from the rest of the people.
For people with flu symptoms:
- Keep a distance of not less than a meter with healthy people.
- Cover your nose and mouth by coughing and sneezing with disposable tissues to prevent the spread of respiratory discharge, or by using the inside end of your elbow.
- Dispose of tissue paper immediately after use.
- Wash your hands properly frequently.
- Open windows to allow air to circulate in your home.
- Stay home and respect social isolation.
Data of interest for the prevention and early detection of the coronavirus
According to the WHO, Covid-19 is a family of viruses that cause influenza and respiratory conditions that has spread to several countries around the world to become a global pandemic.
The situation is really worrying the population about the excessive increase in those infected and the increasing mortality rate that the virus is generating.
Hence, in addition to indicating accurate information on the proper use of chinstraps and correct hand hygiene, we want to show you relevant data that will help you stay alert and seek medical attention for any suspected viral contagion:
- The virus incubation period of about 14 days, during which time you may not experience any symptoms. However, you should be aware of any signs of respiratory disease as it could be a sign that Covid-19 is incubating and it is vitally important to visit a doctor as soon as possible.
- Older adults are a very vulnerable group to the virus, so it is advisable to stay indoors and respect social isolation as much as possible. It is only recommended to leave if it is strictly necessary.
- Currently it is not recommended to make trips with flu, fever or respiratory symptoms. But if it is necessary to travel, it is recommended to get a flu vaccine and take antibiotics for respiratory infection in periods of 5 to 7 days. (Do not self-medicate, this recommendation must be endorsed by a health specialist).
- There is currently no approved vaccine against coronavirus infection, and it is unlikely that any will be available in the short term. So it is essential to follow the recommendations for the correct use of chinstraps, hand hygiene and staying at home without participating in crowds and traveling through public places.
The best thing you can do in these circumstances is to take care of yourself and yours consciously, stopping the coronavirus is everyone’s responsibility.
Do your part so that soon the world recovers from this terrible infectious matter.
Chinstraps and Fashion Covers
As we are a fashion and beauty site, we couldn’t miss giving this article a chic touch and I share with you 10 masks that I liked to always be in fashion.
Chinstrap with golden glitters
It is a good way to wear sparkles if you are a lover of this type of combination with dark colors such as black that you can carry in a wallet or in sandals for an event.
Fabric chinstrap with check pattern
This print never goes out of style to be dressed in a formal and informal way in daily tasks combining with your daily outfit.
Red and black cap with circles
Another very nice print that you can use in combination with your shirt or dress that you are wearing.
The good thing about being a fabric face mask that can be reused and is also easy to wash, taking into account that the black and red color fades.
It is a good way that nobody approaches you and being with the latest fashion trend where studs are still in force and the color black is a good way not to go unnoticed.
A very nice print for children and adults who like Super Heroes and want to give an original touch to the mask for use.
I hope you liked it there and I’ll wait for you in the next article.