Symptoms of fibromyalgia: how do I know if I am concerned?
What is fibromyalgia?
Also called fibrositis, diffuse idiopathic polyalgic syndrome (SPID) or polyenthesopathy, fibromyalgia is a chronic condition which is characterized by pains felt throughout the body.
According to some estimates, it concerns 2% of Europeans. According to the association Fibromyalgie France, this disease affects 2% to 5% of the French population. In 8 out of 9 cases, fibromyalgia syndrome affects womenbetween the ages of 30 and 55, according to the Health Insurance.
The syndrome has been recognized since 1992 by the World Health Organization (WHO). There is no no serious complications but living with the syndrome is very stressful and affects the daily lives of patients
What are the possible causes?
Fibromyalgia has long been poorly knownjust as the reasons for its appearance. We know today that it is linked to several factors : physiological (hormonal problems, nervous disorders), genetic or environmental (shock, trauma, stress). But the specialized researchers have not yet found a causal link.
She is difficult to diagnose health professionals, when faced with a fibromyalgia patient, do not detect no inflammation or injury who can explain the pain. For years, doctors thought that the syndrome did not exist.
The symptoms of fibromyalgia
Fibromyalgia is called a syndrome because it is characterized by a set of symptoms. Problems : these signs are similar to the symptoms of other pathologies such as rheumatism, joint diseases or chronic fatigue syndrome.
The signs that can translate the presence of a SPID are:
- of the diffuse pain throughout the body and chronic (more than 3 months): most often, they are located at the level of the spine, the neck, the shoulders, the shoulder blades, the lower back and the hips. They are often bright on waking and changing (are not always on the same zone)
- a deep tiredness: patients are subject to asthenia. The simple act of resting does not help them to regain energy and the effort tires them quickly.
- a sleeping troubles which can lead to trouble falling asleep, night-time awakenings or the impression that at night, the night was not relaxing.
- of the digestive disorders : stomach pain, bloating
- of the disorders of concentration it can be problems to remember, to be attentive to your environment, to learn or to express yourself.
- shortness of breath
- chest pain
- blurred vision
- hypersensitivity to noise, temperatures
- the urge to urinate frequently
What if I suspect a fibrositis?
In case of symptoms, including diffuse pain, contact a doctor allows to establish a diagnosis.
There is no specific treatments for fibromyalgia because the causes are still unknown.
The health professional will first of all propose to relieve pain and stress by means of physical activity (swimming, walking, stretching). The intensity of the sessions is gradual. They are initially not very intense to avoid that the effort can be badly lived by the patient
The doctor will also give advice to the patient to treat chronic fatigue and restore restful sleep.
The drug solution is reserved for people with fibromyalgia whose treatments listed above do not work. It is up to the general practitioner to decide.
Read also :
⋙ Lady Gaga suffering from fibromyalgia: zoom this disease that affects 2 million French
⋙ Fibromyalgia: 10 essential oils to alleviate symptoms